Saturday, May 30, 2009

15+ tomato plants and 10 . . .

peppers (green bell, golden bell, purple, jalapeno, etc.), 2 eggplant, 4 lettuce (romaine), 3 strawberry, 3 watermelon, a lemon tree, cantaloupe, zucchini, butternut and spaghetti squash, raspberry, grape, cucumber, oregano, rosemary, another herb of some sort and possible a few plants I forgot to name have joined our family in the past month. And, those are just our vegetables. We planted two rose bushes and more than 100 bulbs of various flowers including lilies (my favorites). We're realizing you don't grow vegetables to save money on groceries, but to enjoy the efforts of work and the beauty of creation.

Pedro has been practicing his nurturing/gardening skills, and I must say he is quite good. He built fences to keep the squirrels and rabbits out. He waters every day - very carefully. He kills the caterpillars. And, he likes to look at the growing plants each day.I helped plant some of our little greenies and I water sometimes, but it is getting a little harder for me to bend over like I used to be able to do. You can see from the picture above our little Pedrito is starting to bulge out a bit more. He moves frequently, sometimes it feels like he is dancing the Charleston - he takes after his father.

Spring lasted about a week with a gorgeous rainbow, then summer hit. We are loving the warm weather. This morning we went kayaking on one of the local lakes. Even though every lake is surrounded by lake front houses, it felt so good to be out on the water in the breeze reading to Pedro as he paddled us around.

8 comments:

my favorite color is green said...

That's awesome that you guys went to the work and fun of having a garden. Good luck with the next 9 weeks or so of pregnancy- we can do this :) -Tye

Tyler and Megan said...

Wow, you do have a baby belly now, good job. Your garden looks great too. I am excited for you two.

Daniel and Chelsea said...

You are looking great Lisa! Your garden sounds wonderful as well. Say hi to Pedro for us!

Kiley said...

The garden looks great - and you do too! And Pedro, he looks . . . well . . . don't tell him, but when I was scrolling through the pictures, Jake saw the picture of him tenderly caring for his garden and said, "Cow! See it?" I quickly told him that Pedro was a person, not a cow . . . sorry, Pedro.

I got your message last night, and we're doing fine. I'll give you a call later. How are you doing? Almost to the third trimester, eh? So close! By the way, I need your address so I can send you a little picture of the babe. Could you email it to me? I like you guys a lot! Good luck with everything! I'll talk to you soon!

Blaire said...

I am so jealous of your garden. I only have one little window basket to work with, but you're going to to have an amazing garden soon. Lucky you!!

Dani said...

YAY!!! Yeah, that sounds like Pedro. He's so curious about all sorts of stuff and naturally good at EVERYTHING! Awww, I miss you guys!! When will be together again?!

Brittany Roscheck said...

I wish I had a place that I could really garden! I just have pots outside of Wymount still, but someday... The plants look awesome and you look so cute!

Hiram, Tashina, Nora, and Hiram Dean said...

Hi Lisa and Pedro, Lisa you don't know me but I'm good friends with your sis-in-law Dani. That's how I found your blog, through hers. I just wanted to say congrats on expecting your first baby! That is so exciting!! My best to your family.